Whether you’re a patron of the arts or simply looking for a family-friendly activity in the Big Apple, you might be hoping to catch a Broadway matinée or evening show. But unfortunately, this common bucket list item might break the bank.
Don’t worry—if you’re a senior citizen or traveling with one, there are senior discounts available for Broadway tickets that just might be your Christmas miracle. Read on to learn our top tips for securing cheap Broadway tickets as a senior.
- Discounts on Broadway tickets are available to retirees 62 and over are available through the Theatre Development Fund (TDF).
- TDF also offers discounted tickets with accommodations for those with accessibility needs.
- Check popular discount sites like Broadway Box and TodayTix to try your luck before or during your trip.
Apply for CDPAP or HHA today
Can You Get a Senior Discount for a Broadway Show?
If you’re planning a trip to New York City this Christmas, it’s likely you’re hoping for the chance to see a couple of Broadway shows. Manhattan is the theater capital of America, and show tickets are a hot commodity for those in town for the holiday season.
Unfortunately, theater ticket prices can be steep, even for Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway shows. There are tried and true ways to obtain discount Broadway tickets, like securing “rush tickets.” Rush tickets are cheap tickets purchased at the theater’s box office the day of.
You can also enter online lotteries for each show, or wait in line at the TKTS booth, a ticket booth in Times Square that offers last-minute tickets at a discounted price.
Theatre Development Fund (TDF) Discounts
The Theatre Development Fund (TDF) is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1968 with the mission of promoting theater accessibility, diversifying audiences, and supporting theatrical productions in New York.
TDF created the TKTS booth as a means of offering discounted tickets to the general public, but members of certain groups (like retirees) are able to become TDF members, which means they can secure TDF’s discounted tickets in advance online.
How to Apply for TDF as a Senior
- Start by making a member account online.
- Then you’ll need proof of eligibility—a copy (photo or PDF) of your driver’s license, as well as a formal retirement or pension letter from your former employer or retirement/pension fund provider.
- If you don’t have such a letter on hand, a Social Security pay stub, retirement or pension benefits pay stub, or Medicare card will suffice.
- Email both documents, along with your full name and member ID number, to POE@tdf.org or mail printed copies to:
|TDFATTN: Proof of Eligibility (POE)520 Eighth Avenue, Suite 801New York, NY 10018
Joining TDF only costs an initial fee of $35 with the promo code JOIN35, and you’ll be able to save up to 70% on hundreds of theater, music, and dance performances daily.
Through this program, your membership fee will be waived, and TDF will provide 50% discounted tickets along with accommodations including:
- Special seating
- Open captioning
- Sign language interpreting, and
- Audio description services.
Stay Up to Date With Discount Sites
|Offers helpful information on each show, and you can sign up to be notified via email when discounts become available for your shows of choice.
|Peruse same-day discount tickets from the comfort of your device.
|New York Show Tickets (NYTIX)
|Offers premium discount codes for a $5/month membership fee
If all else fails, look for Facebook groups of Broadway fans. Aficionados in the area often sell excess tickets to one another last-minute while trying to play the daily rush or lottery game.